Let's Try Some Bibliotherapy!
Week 9 Blog Entry:
Victor LaValle's Destroyer by Victor LaValle
2018 winner of the Bram Stoker Award: Best Graphic Novel and the 2019 YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens, Victor LaValle creates a violent world with hints of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein where Dr. Baker has brought back her son, Akai, to life after he was shot by police.
I was very excited to find a graphic novel horror novel depicting African American characters and takes on present day themes around race relations in a science fiction format. I read in may reviews how well the author shared the intense grief and rage of Aika's mother throughout this story and felt it was an important opportunity for teen readers to get their arms around. I checked this out from the teen and adult section of the Southborough Library's graphic novel section.
What Big Teeth by Rose Szabo
This fantasy and gothic-horror novel takes on themes of family history and estrangement, accepting yourself when Eleanor returns home after years away at school and must come to terms with her supernatural and monstrous ancestors.
I admit to picking this purely for its cover when I was searching for YA horror novels. I selected to highlight this for the blog because of its focus on family which many teens can connect to as they sort out their own identifies outside of family. I also love gothic horror stories and am intrigued by the thriller/mystery storyline. I also wanted to include this book to increase the diversity of authors as Rose Szabo identifies as a nonbinary writer.
Scary Stories for Young Foxes by Christian McKay Heidicker
A 2020 ALA Notable Children's Books winner, Heidicker creates a middle-grade horror fiction about two young foxes who get separated from their family and endure constant fear trying to survive violence and monsters found within the woods.
This is a unique collection of short stories that caught my attention in the Children's Room of the Southborough Library for being one of the few children's horror stories that I have encountered. I think this will appeal to a lot of children seeking to learn about the natural world and who love campfire scary stories that captivate and scare us in a way that also teaches us about believing in ourselves and understanding the life and death. I love how this can teach kids about the adult world and give them space to figure out how they might navigate their fears and the world.
Darius The Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram
Winner of seven awards, this coming of age YA novel explores friendship, metal illness and fitting in through the eyes of Darius Kellner during his visit to Iran.
I had to include this coming-of-age story based on our readings this week around bibliotherapy and reaching reluctant readers through heartfelt as well as funny realistic fiction. I have seen this in various YA libraries as well as online book groups and am eager to read this book and recommend this to others. I also appreciate that readers can learn about a different culture as well and feel hopeful when Darius learns that he can feel okay as he makes a new friend who is accepting of him.




Comments
Post a Comment