Tell Me What You Want, What You Really, Really Want...


 Week Twelve Blog

Girl Friends: The Complete Collection 1 by Milk Morinaga



This manga explores the relationship between studious high school student Mari and popular classmate Akko after Akko helps Mari come out of her shell and Mari shows Akko the importance of studying and how their feelings for each other grow beyond friendship.

I love this upbeat portrayal of a LGBTQ+ couple in a comic format for readers of all levels and interests. The author/illustrators leaves room for the characters to get to know each other which is refreshing and details day-to-day problems high schoolers encounter which is something students are often looking for in stories. I read about this series after reading the article about the return of manga when I was researching popular manga books and was excited the public library had this!

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein



 Working for the British Airforce during WWII, two girls lives intersect as pilots and spies throughout this historical thriller told in first-person narrative.

I selected this book as an example of a YA crossover book after this week's article, "YA Grows Up..." I have not yet read this book myself, but it is on the top of my YA reading list because so many patrons (adults and teens) rave about this as an incredibly well-written story with a lot of heart. It deals with the difficult topic of torture and loss during that time period but feels like a truly important piece of fiction that many different readers could connect to and benefit from reading and talking about together. The Pearl Thief is a prequel and Rose Under Fire is Code Name Verity's companion. 

Serendipity: Ten Romantic Tropes, Transformed edited by Marissa Meyer 



Ten YA authors take common romantic themes, such as matchmaker or friends to enemies plots, and turn them upside down in a funny, original and refreshing look at love.

I couldn't resist picking up this book and was delighted to find that it was not only a playful jab at many of the existing YA rom com books out there but that it was also funny. A winning combination (at least in my mind) and it aligns well with the increasing requests from teens for funny books as well. I could also see myself trying out a review for this book in a BookTok!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Everyone!

Creating Multimedia: Take To The Hills?

Don't Like Reading Or Tired Of The Same Old Plot? Try Something New!